Boeung Kak: No help for families left out of deal

Khouth Sophakchakrya, Phnom Penh Post, Aug 31 2011

Boeung Kak
BANGING tables and demanding  answers, 47 families that have been cut out of the Boeung Kak compensation deal protested at Daun Penh district’s Srah Chak commune office yesterday.

The families from villages 6, 22 and 24 have been denied land titles they were promised within a 12.44 hectare relocation site that was set aside by Prime Minister Hun Sen earlier this month for 756 families forced to make way for a real estate development.

Waving an invitation to apply for a land title stamped by Srah Chak commune chief Chhay Thirith, Chea Sok Choeun from village 22 yesterday demanded he explain why she had been cut out of the deal.
“Where is the transparency and justice if we have the same invitations but some got [titles] and some were rejected,” she said.

Chhay Thirith said that such decisions were beyond his authority.

Srah Chak deputy commune chief In Saphorn said she supported the families’ claims but was powerless to act.

The dispute at Boeung Kak has raged since Shukaku Inc, a company owned by ruling party senator Lao Meng Khin, was given the right  to develop a 133 hectare real estate project that would displace some 4,000 families in 2007.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.